Happy Wednesday my friends,
I invite you to grab some popcorn, a glass of wine or three, and settle in to my date with the douche. Let’s call him Putin.
Part I: Enough Red Flags to Line an Ultramarathon
Before we begin, let me preface this story by taking full responsibility for ignoring the pre-date red flags. In my defense, he is Russian so I cut him a little slack 🤷🏽♀️.
I’ll list a few of the red flags below:
- His insistence that girls and guys cannot be friends…and that if we dated I would not be able to hang out with my closest guy friends 1:1.
- His very arbitrary points system. At first I thought that it was a joke about brownie points, but he’d reference it throughout multiple points in conversations because I was and I quote: “Trying out to be on his varsity team”.
- His insistence that cleaning would be 60/40 with me doing the heavy lifting. Furthermore, he said that was him being generous. Ideally, it would be 100/0. He also said that cooking would be 100/0.
- His insistence that if a girl is assaulted then it is her fault. She should know that every guy is potentially just trying to get in her pants…including her own father 🤢🤮.
- That I should stop dating other people and cancel my plans for the next week before we even had a chance to meet.
- Somehow all of his exes happened to be “crazy”
- His insistence that he has everything that a woman can want and that it’s okay for him to suggest changes to her. Any changes that she would suggest would likely be small and unimportant.
- His claim that he dated nothing but models and that he received acclaim for his skills as a lover
I know…I’m judging myself too. What the heck was I thinking?! I felt a responsibility to challenge his problematic ideas and a girl has got to eat 🤷🏽♀️.
Turns out the pre-date red flags were just the tip of the iceberg. Tune in next week for Part II to hear about the actual date.
I’d love to hear from you! Let me know about the types of red flags that you look for before a potential date.